THE CHAGWORD TEAM THANKS . . .
Wizard of words MATT HARVEY and the master of rhythm PHILIP CLOUTS, accompanied by Marcus Vergette on double bass and Coach York on drums.
* SOPHIE HANNAH, who drew us into a world of mystery, menace and murder with help from her latest Hercule Poirot novel.
* SHAUN HILL, Michelin-starred chef, who shared with us “things I have learned from 50 years at the stove”
* ALICE OSWALD – winner of the 2016 Costa Poetry Award who read from and talked about her new collection, ‘Falling Awake’
* KATE ADIE – who entertained and inspired us with many experiences and anecdotes and lessons from her life as a news correspondent
* MAX PORTER – winner of The Sunday Times/Peters Fraser and Dunlop Young Writer of the Year Award for his debut novel, ‘Grief is the Thing with Feathers’ who talked about his work, inspiration and the influence of Ted Hughes’ poetry.
* Double BAFTA winner, PETER MOFFAT and MARNIE DICKENS, BAFTA Breakthrough Brit (2016) who discussed the challenges and rewards of writing for the small and large screen.
* HISHAM MATAR who read from and talked about his brilliant new memoir, ‘The Return’
* MICHAEL MORPURGO accompanied by songman, BEN MURRAY who told the deeply moving story of young Albert and his beloved horse, Joey, from his book ‘War Horse’,
* PATRICK GALE who explored in depth his much praised latest novel, ‘A Place Called Winter’ as part of The Great Read
And for children at the festival: –
JASON BERESFORD who entertained with some hilarious storytelling and interactive fun
and SIMON JAMES internationally renowned children’s author, who introduced his hot-off-the-press book, told stories and drew pictures
A big thank you to our Business Sponsors and Friends of the Festival, without which the festival couldn’t have happened , especially Helpful Holidays, our principal sponsors, the Arts Council, England for their generous support and The Three Crowns, our partner hotel.